Aren’t slow cookers the best? You can make something in the morning and let it cook all day until it is tender and delicious! But have you noticed so many slow cooker recipes use canned soup? IT is a short-cut to making something creamy – BUT you can’t control the ingredients! Though I am the Queen of Shortcuts, I try to make things from scratch so I can control the ingredients. That’s why this recipe is so good! It is all fresh (no canned soup here!), so I’m in control of all the ingredients, plus it is EASY!
This is a creamy & tasty dish that I feel good about serving the family. Make it in the morning, before the day gets busy (or assemble the night before, put in fridge & cook the next day!). You come home to a delicious smelling house! Doesn’t it look fabulous? (You should SMELL it!)
Serve it over egg noodles and pair it with a healthy vegetable side dish – Oh SO GOOD! Enjoy!
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup milk (you can use ½ cup evaporated milk for a richer feeling sauce)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon each of garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano & sea salt
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Place the cubed chicken breast into the crockpot.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk into a paste. Remaining over medium heat, add the chicken broth and whisk. Add the milk and whisk. Continue whisking the mixture over medium heat until the mixture is a slightly thick sauce.
- Add the pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, and sea salt. Stir well.
- Add the fresh garlic, onion and mushrooms.
- Pour sauce over the chicken in crockpot. Stir until all chicken pieces are covered in sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for approx. 5 hours.
- Add cream cheese (cube it first) and stir until melted.
- Add sour cream and stir. Allow to heat up - maybe 20 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles, garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.