This recipe is a taste of my childhood. I used to make this with my mother when I was a little girl and I thought it was magic! Cake on the top; Pudding on the bottom!
I’ve made a few changes to the recipe (including a name change to reflect what my kids call it), but I still cherish the handwritten recipe from 50 years ago.
Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
This is a delight for chocolate lovers - rich chocolate cake on top, with chocolate pudding on the bottom!
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8 servings
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Hershey’s Cocoa, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted (5⅓ tablespoons butter)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1¼ cups hot water
- Vanilla Bean ice Cream for Serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a pot of water on the stove to very hot (just under a simmer).
- In a large bowl, combine ¾ cup of the granulated sugar, flour, ¼ cup of the cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, melted butter and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into an lightly greased 2-quart ceramic dish (or you can use a 9-inch square baking pan). Spread batter evenly.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining ¼ cup cocoa and mix well. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the batter in your dish or pan. Pour the hot water over the top – but do not stir!
- Bake 35-40 minutes if using a glass dish (or 30-35 minutes if using a metal pan). Remove from the oven and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, spoon the cake into individual serving bowls – making sure to spoon the fudgy sauce from the bottom of the pan over the top of the cake. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired and serve immediately.