Combine the best of light, summer eating – Salads and Grilled Meats — and you have this wonderful recipe from BuffyandGeorge.com! (GREAT website with some wonderful recipes!)
This salad makes a perfect cold meal in the summer, AND you get to keep the kitchen cool in the summer! (Well, except for the bacon that you cook in the house! But that doesn’t count!)
Quick Cooking TIp: Pound the chicken breasts to about 3/4 inch thickness for even grilling and faster cooking time.
- 5 oz package of mixed salad greens
- 2-4 chicken breasts (depends on how hungry you are)
- 6 pieces of bacon, fully cooked
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ English cucumber, sliced in half moons
- ½ cup mixed nuts and seeds (cashews, sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds)
- zest and juice of one lime
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (more if you like it hot)
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Pound the chicken breasts with a meat mallet so that they are a more uniform thickness. Lightly coat the chicken with a little vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on the grill until cooked through.
- Whisk the lime juice and zest, vinegar, mustard, chipotle powder, honey, salt and pepper together in a glass bowl or measuring cup. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking constantly until the dressing is fully emulsified. You could also add everything to a mason jar and shake vigorously until mixed.
- Cut the cooked chicken and bacon into bite sized pieces. Toss the salad greens with half the vinaigrette (use more if you like a lot of dressing). Serve the dressed salad topped with chicken, sliced strawberries, cucumber, bacon and smattering of nuts & seeds.