My teenage daughter decided to go vegetarian about 6 months ago, because she loves animals (especially pigs), so I have been trying to find more meals and recipes that will give her the healthy nutrients she needs, give her a little protein, and will fill her up. Quinoa seemed to fit the bill! (1 Cup cooked Quinoa = 8 g. protein, plus it is a complete protein -packing in all nine essential amino acids your body needs.)
I found this recipe and have been making it for a few months now (among other recipes I am testing out). It is a tasty, easy and flavorful Meatless Monday recipe!! I hope you might give it a try!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (I used canned)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth (I used chicken broth because my daughter is not strictly vegan)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (Optional if you don't like cilantro!)
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic & jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently for about 1 minute.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from DamnDelicious.net.