Summer is the perfect time to make that simple and delicious Greek dish, Chicken Souvlaki! Marinating chicken with the flavors of lemon and garlic – a perfect combination in my book! You can grill the chicken or bake it in the oven – whatever is convenient for you. I had plans to grill this, but with downpours all day, I decided to bake them instead – and they were delicious!
By the way – this goes perfectly served with my cool, Greek Tzatziki Sauce! Serve the sauce on the side for dipping, OR chop up the chicken, place in a Pita or a Stonefire Naan (individual size), add a hefty dollop of Tzatziki, and lettuce, Makes a VERY yummy sandwich!
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano (or 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)
- 2-4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced (I used three!)
- 4 chicken breasts
- In a large baggie, combine all the ingredients.
- Seal the baggie and shake to combine.
- Allow to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge, or until ready to grill or cook.
- Grill on medium high heat, turning once or twice, until instant read meat thermometer inserted into the chicken breast reads 165 degrees. (approximately 15-20 minutes)
- Alternative Cooking Method: Place on a greased baking sheet and cook for approximately 20-30 minutes in a 400 degree oven. They are done when instant read meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
Enjoy this wonderful greek recipe! OPA!