Fresh watermelon – so plentiful this time of year! Combine it’s juicy flavor with fresh feta cheese, basil straight from the garden, and balsamic glaze, and you have a delicious summer salad! Kick it up a notch by grilling the watermelon first – it brings out the sweetness of the melon, adding a new depth of flavor!
How To Grill Watermelon: Brush both sides of sliced watermelon with olive oil and grill on high heat until grill marks show up on the melon slices:
- 6-7 watermelon slices, brushed with olive oil, then grilled.
- Feta Cheese crumbles - approximately 3-5 ounces, depending on how much you like Feta!
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Fresh Basil, chopped (approx. 2-3 tablespoons
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- On pic ground black pepper, or more, to taste
- Balsamic Glaze from drizzling!
- Slice off the rind of the grilled watermelon and cut into cubes.
- Add the lime, salt and pepper and toss.
- Add the feta cheese and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Serve Immediately (The watermelon will continue to release juice, so if you wait too long to serve, it will become soupy!)
Balsamic Glaze: You can quickly make a balsamic glaze by combining 1 cup balsamic vinegar with 1/4 cup brown sugar in a sauce pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until it boils. Reduce the heat and simmer until it reduces by half. Glaze is done when it coats the back of a spoon. Cool and store in air-tight container in the fridge.