It is the peak of winter, but warm spring and summer days are just around the corner! Start making your skin smooth and soft with these great homemade sugar scrubs! Did you know exfoliating BEFORE shaving your legs will actually allow for a closer shave?
These scrubs are simple to do, cost very little to make, and are just delicious smelling!
The Basic Sugar Scrub Recipe
- 3 Cups white sugar
- 1 Cup (plus 2 Tablespoons) Extra Virgin Olive Oil – you can experiment with other oils, such as almond oil, coconut oil, etc.
- 10 drops favorite essential oils – this amount really depends on how strong you like the scent. Add more or less to suit your preference.
- Jars for storing sugar scrubs (The Dollar Store is where I found mine!)
In a large bowl, mix sugar and olive oil well. Add essential oils and mix well. Store in jars or other oil-safe container. Use in shower to soften hands and/or body. Rinse well before drying. (Note: Shower Floor can be slippery after using sugar scrubs in shower. Use caution.)
Types of Essential Oil Combinations:
I found essential oils at my local health food store, and they offered a wonderful variety! Try one of these ideas, or get creative with your own!
- Lavender and Tea Tree Oils
- Orange Creamsicle – A mixture of Sweet Orange and Vanilla essential oils.
- Brown Sugar Vanilla – Replace one of the cups of white sugar with Brown Sugar. Add Vanilla essential oil. (You will want to eat this one!)
If you want a rougher texture to your scrub, replace the white sugar with turbinado sugar. It changes the look AND the feel of the scrub!
Thank you to WTLV-TV’s First Coast Living for inviting me on to share this fun idea!