FACT: In the heat of summer, if you eat something spicy, your body actually cools off. It may seem counter-intuitive, but it really works! This spicy Chipotle Chicken and Rice Soup provides just enough kick to get those sweat glands working. Recipe is from GimmeSomeOven.com, a great site to explore for a variety of recipes!
- 1 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- half a chayote, diced (optional-Chayote is a mexican squash. As substitute, you can use 3/4 cup diced zucchini squash)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup canned or frozen whole-kernel corn
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (Can use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 2/3 cup salsa verde, homemade or store-bought (recommend Herdez brand)
- juice of half a lime
- salt and pepper
- garnish: diced avocado, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, crumbled queso fresco, additional lime wedges
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapenos and chayote, and saute for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and tender. Add garlic and saute for an additional minute until fragrant.
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, chipotles, adobo sauce, and stir to combine. Heat until nearly boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for at least 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken, rice, salsa verde and lime juice, and then season with salt and pepper.
Serve warm garnished with lots of fresh avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips and queso fresco. Enjoy!