I love finding shortcuts to recipes, and this one is wonderful because the short cut is to use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store (rather than cook the chicken separately!). This yummy dish is easy and delish!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 cups shredded or chopped deli rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- (1) 15 oz can low-sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cumin (to taste)
- (1) 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles, undrained
- (1) 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 8 corn tortillas (5 or 6 inch)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mexican cheese blend
- (1) 8 oz container sour cream
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a casserole dish (I used 13×9 sized pan) with non-stick cooking spray. Pour a few tablespoons of enchilada sauce in bottom of dish, spreading to cover bottom of dish. Layer four of the tortillas on the bottom of the dish, overlapping if needed.
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, cilantro, black beans, cumin, and green chilies until well combined.
Pour half of the chicken mixture into the dish. Sprinkle half the cheese over the chicken, half the remaining enchilada sauce, then add the corn tortillas. Do another layer of chicken and cheese, plus add a layer of 1/2 cup sour cream, and finish it off with the remaining enchilada sauce.
Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove tin foil and add a sprinkle of cheese and add remaining sour cream. Bake, uncovered, for another 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to set for 10 minutes before devouring!
This recipe I found on One Good Thing By Jillee, a great site with many recipes, projects and more – it is definitely worth a visit!